Friday, October 2, 2015

Friday Favorites

It's Friday!!  I sure do love Fridays, and today I'm rounding up my favorites from the week.  We've been busy and it was an unusually eventful week around here!
  • Drew is really into the show, Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, on PBS.  I saw some figurines of the five main characters at Target the other day and I decided to surprise him with them.  He LOVED it, and we've been busy this week playing with them.  It's so fun to watch your child's imagination run wild, and Drew has quite the imagination.  We've built boats and castles and trucks out of blocks for Daniel to drive and live in.  We've explored the sea and seen imaginary turtles and fish.  What fun!  He's so much fun to play with! I'm so glad I get to do it every day.




  • Monday after Doug got home, we went for a family run.  I've really been enjoying family runs lately.  I don't have much time to get a run in by myself, so when we all get to do it together, it's great!  Drew loves to be pushed in the stroller and he's constant entertainment.  Avery even stayed awake to enjoy the ride on Monday!

  • I'm loving this adorable mug that I got from Target.  It's navy blue and plaid and just screams Fall to me.  I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do like drinking out of mugs!
  • Now for an un-favorite! Tuesday afternoon Doug went for a mountain bike ride with some friends.  He texted me on the way home and said he thought he broke his thumb.  When he got home, I knew right away that something was wrong.  He didn't want to go to the ER, but we finally decided that since Urgent Care was still open, we'd go there to see what was up.  We fed the kids and headed out the door. I had no idea what a long night we had in store.  We showed up at urgent care about 7 pm.  The doctor did some x-rays and found that his thumb was dislocated.  Apparently, it was in a spot that almost never happens, and therefore, the doctor at Urgent Care did not feel qualified to put it back in place.  He sent us with the x-rays to the emergency room, where a doctor would numb it and pop it back into place.  So all four of us headed to the ER.  Doug got checked in and then we waited.  If there's one thing that I've learned about the medical world, it's that everything takes FOREVER!  The doctor numbed the area and popped the thumb back into place.  Then she put a huge splint on it.  Both Doug and I didn't realize that he'd have to wear what was essentially a cast.  I think we both thought she'd put it back into place and he'd experience some swelling and pain but would be back to normal shortly.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.  The whole process took a really, really long time.  Luckily, Avery was sleeping and Drew was the most well-behaved boy the entire time.  I was so proud of him!  He thought the doctor's office was fun because he got stickers and a sucker!  We didn't end up leaving the ER until after 11, which is four hours past his bedtime, but he did great! We got home, put the kids to bed, and Doug and I finally had some dinner at 11:45.  Not ideal!  It was a long night, but we made the best of it and the kids were awesome. 



  • UPDATE: Doug saw the doctor Thursday afternoon and had to get a cast that he'll have to wear for 6-8 weeks.  He's pretty bummed about it, but the good news is that the cast is pretty sleek and won't be super obtrusive.  He will likely still struggle doing things with his right hand as he still can't pinch his thumb and first finger together, but it's not nearly as bulky as the splint and he can remove it to shower.  
  • Thursday was date night, as usual.  We went to Old Chicago for dinner.  They recently completely renovated their restaurant and it's pretty neat. It feels like a whole new restaurant and has a great atmosphere.  The kids were really well-behaved and we all had a fun date night!






  • Thursday was also "National Homemade Cookie" day according to The Today Show, so we decided to celebrate with some homemade cookies.  Drew helped me whip up a batch of chocolate chip cookies.  He's so fun to cook with because he's so encouraging.  He doles out the compliments left and right, like, "mmm, that looks soooo yummy" and "great job stirring, mommy!" He definitely knows how to make his momma feel good! I think we won some points with Doug too, because he loves cookies more than just about anything else!


 
  • And finally, my forever favorite is my kids.  I got some pretty cute pictures of them this week that I just have to share!






 
That's all for this week!  Hope you enjoy your weekend!

 

3 comments:

  1. What a week!!!! Great pictures! Send us one of his sleek cast! I'm glad you had date night-you needed it after this week!! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like a crazy week! You guys sure do have a lot of stuff going on ALL the time! Your kids are wonderful, I am so glad they behaved for you this week. What a bummer for Doug! I'm glad the other cast isn't so bulky! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - talk about a roller coaster of a week for you guys! You sure do have some happy, beautiful, well behaved children!! I sure hope Doug heals up quick! Also, I am slightly upset I wasn't able to celebrate national homemade cookie day with you guys! ha - YUM!! Love the pic of you and Avery, you are gorgeous!! Miss you 4!

    ReplyDelete