Tuesday, July 8, 2014

July 4th Weekend!

Be prepared to be overwhelmed with pictures!  We had a wonderful July 4th weekend back in Rapid.  It went way too quick, but we sure had fun.

Doug and my brother-in-law, Erick, planned a huge two day bike tour of the Black Hills to do over the weekend.  The rest of us spent the weekend together and joined them for bits and pieces of their Tour de Black Hills!

Thursday night when we got into Rapid, we had a family dinner and then my parents watched Drew while my sister, brother-in-law, Doug, Maurine (a French intern that is working for my dad this summer), and I went out on the town.  It was Rapid's Music on Main night, so we went downtown and listened to some music and then went to the Ale House for a drink.  On our drive home, we went by the Post 22 stadium where they have the Firecracker tournament every fourth of July and they shoot off fireworks after the games are over on the fourth.  We watched them across the street from the stadium and when they were done, we made our way home.  The boys didn't want to stay out too late since they had a big two days of riding ahead of them!

Friday, my parents, sister, Drew, Maurine, and I went to Sheridan Lake in the morning.  We SUPed, kayaked, and swam at the beach.  It was a beautifully hot morning and we had so much fun playing at the lake.  Around noon, we went back to Rapid to grab some lunch and then head out to eventually meet the boys for dinner that night.  We spent the afternoon at Horsethief Lake in the hills doing more of the same.  It's a beautiful lake and we had perfect weather.  The boys made it to Horsethief about four in the afternoon and we all headed to the KOA where the boys were going to spend the night.

Now, I've stayed at some KOA's in my day, but this KOA was out of this world!  It was so awesome!  They had so many fun activities for families and I can't wait to go back again when we have some time to play.  I'll just name a few of the attractions so you get the idea: waterslide, splash park, two pools, mini golf, a pond for kayaking and fishing, a bike trail, mining for gold, go carts and bikes, ice cream shop, restaurants, bars, wine tasting, horse riding, all you can eat pancake breakfast, and the list goes on and on.  It was sweet!  Anyway, we didn't have too much time to enjoy all of the amenities but we did go to the splash park and one of the pools before barbequing that night.  After doing a little swimming, we all headed back to the camp site to cook up some dinner.  Because Erick and Doug had planned this bike tour before they knew if we would be able to join, they planned to have a different dinner than the rest of us.  We all had burgers, brats, and hot dogs.  Just as we finished our dinner, a downpour began complete with hail.  Unfortunately, the boys were still cooking their dinner, so they had to stand in the rain and hail trying to cover the BBQ so their food would finish cooking.  Eventually the rain did stop and they were able to enjoy a delicious meal as well.  The rest of us went home that night and left the two bikers to enjoy the night at the KOA.

Saturday morning, my sister and dad and I decided to join the boys for part of the bike tour.  We met them at a dive bar in Rochford, SD for lunch and then rode about 17 miles with them on the Mickelson Trail.  And let me tell you, it was HOT.  It was definitely in the 90's and much warmer than any temperatures we've had so far this summer.  After riding the rest of the trip with them, we all met up at my brother-in-law's family friends' cabin in the hills.  It was a beautiful spot and a really cool cabin to spend Saturday night in.  My mom, Drew, and Maurine met us at the cabin for dinner where Erick prepared delicious steak, sweet potatoes, salad, and much more.  We all ate like kings!  My parents took Drew back to Rapid after dinner, so it was just my sister and brother-in-law, Maurine, Doug, and I at the cabin that night.  We started a fire and just enjoyed each other's company around the fire.  It was a fun night!

Sunday morning, we got up early and headed back to Rapid so that Doug, Drew, and I could get on the road.  We made a quick stop at my grandparents house so Drew could see his great grandparents and some aunts, uncles, cousins, and other family members.  After that, we hit the road and headed back to Bozeman.  It was a fun 4th of July and I'm glad we got to spend it in Rapid with my family.  I already can't wait for the next trip back.

Hope you all had a wonderful fourth as well.  Here are some pictures of our weekend for you to enjoy.  Caution, there are quite a few!

Just after catching the Post 22 fireworks!  We were excited!!

Getting sunscreen'd up at Sheridan!

Checking out the beach.

Playing with grandpa!



My little surfer!


He loved kayaking by himself!






While we were at the lake, the boys were doing this!

Custer!

Getting beers at the brewery (I thought this was a bike tour?!)

Riding - you can see it's a little muddy!

Lunch day one for the boys.  They both said it was the best burger they've ever had!

Centennial Trail!


Checking out the map!

That's Mt. Rushmore in the distance!


Mt. Rushmore on the 4th!
Happy Birthday America!

Doug and George!

Finally arriving at Horsethief!

Family pic at Horsethief!

And again!

The KOA!

I forgot to list horse carriage rides!

Waterslide!

Splash park!

He loved it!


The pool!

Family pic!

The rain came.....darn.

Toughing it out.

It was worth it!

Yumm!

Group shot!

Drew loved the hail.

It was slippery and he had a hard time picking it up!

Riders day two!

The bar in Rochford.

Lunch day two! Erick's parents and sister joined us as well.

Lunch day two and he's already a muddy mess!

The Mickelson Trail!

Doug and my dad.

Group shot.

One of the many tunnels along the trail.

Quick selfie!

After the tough part of the ride.  I was HOT and exhausted.

Erick's parents and sister joined us for the last half of the ride!

The Sykora's

The cabin.

Cool fire pit.

Tree house.

Another shot of the cabin.

The boys finally arrived.


All done with the Tour de Black Hills.

Family shot.

My boys.


The steaks! Yumm!

Drew thought something was super funny!

Grandpa and Drew.  Two of my favorites!

Doug and I.

My sweet boy!


The fire crew.

Bri and Erick.

Doug and Maurine.

And finally a sunset from our driveway to end the fun weekend!

And just because he's cute!

2 comments:

  1. That was one fun weekend!! I don't know if I could have ridden another mile but I'd be ready to do it all over again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an awesome trip! Wish I could have been there!! Thanks for taking so many pictures, I love it!

    ReplyDelete