Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Loving Lately - Makeup/Beauty Products

For the final installment of "Loving Lately," I'm going to focus on makeup/beauty products.  Let's be honest, I'm a little new to the whole makeup craze.  In fact, I didn't even wear makeup until I was a senior in high school.  I was very much a tomboy and didn't have time for such frilly things!  Nowadays, I've certainly become more interested in it, and I feel like I'm finally learning not only how to apply makeup, but also how to find the products that really work for me.

Here's a roundup of the makeup/beauty products that I've been using on repeat!
  • Urban Decay Naked Eye Shadow Palettes - For Christmas, I got my very first Naked palette and I couldn't have been more excited!  I had heard a lot about them, but because they are a little pricey, I had never purchased one myself.  I got the Naked 3 palette, and boy am I in love!  I have to say, the higher price is definitely worth it, as I can totally tell a difference in quality between my Naked shadows and my drug store palettes.  The consistency is so much better and it truly does last all day long.  I now have the Naked 2 and 3 palettes and I have to say I love them both. I probably get a little more use out of 3 because it is the more rose-tinted neutrals which seems to go with my skin tone a little better.  Overall I love them both and will probably eventually get the original Naked palette.  In my opinion, you can throw out your other shadows because all you need are these palettes! (Note: these are the only higher end shadows I have ever used, so I cannot attest to the Urban Decay prominence over other higher end brands!)
  • Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush - I had seen other bloggers rave about the Amazonian clay blush, and I just had to try it.  I have the shade "blissful" and I really really like it.  It's the perfect color for my skin tone and it really does last a long time.  Maybe not 12-hours, but that's probably because I give Drew so many kisses throughout the day!

  • Mary-Lou Manizer Highlighter - For Christmas, my mom got me a subscription to Birchbox, and I absolutely love it.  It's so fun to get a box every month, and I've actually found quite a few products through my Birchboxes that I now use on a daily basis.  The Mary-Lou Manizer highlighter is one of those products.  I first received it in my Birchbox and after using up the sample, I had to have it.  It's a great champagne colored highlighter that I use on my cheekbones and brow bones and it really just brightens up my face.  They have since come out with a Cindy-Lou Manizer highlighter that is more of a rose-gold color that I will probably invest in as well!
  • Benefit They're Real Mascara - I am picky about mascara.  I had the perfect mascara in CoverGirl's  VolumeExact waterproof mascara, but unfortunately, it was discontinued quite awhile ago. I think I have tried every drugstore brand and kind since then, and I just haven't been able to find a mascara that I like even close to as much as the VolumeExact formula.  I'd heard a lot about Benefit's They're Real, and so I decided to give it a try. I bought the tester size, anticipating not liking it just like all the rest.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was the closest that I have found to my beloved VolumeExact.  The wand is similar and it seems to give my lashes both volume and length.  I still don't think I like it as much as I liked my VolumeExact, but I guess it's the closest that I've come so far.
  • e.l.f. Mineral Face Primer - I had never used a primer before a couple months ago.  I kept reading that it was a must if you want your makeup to last, but to be honest, they were all so expensive and I just wasn't going to pay that much for something that you couldn't even see and would just go on UNDER my makeup.  Then I found the e.l.f. Mineral Face Primer.  It's only $3, so I figured I'd give it a try.  It's great!  It goes on smooth and fills in the lines on my face to create a perfect blank canvas for my makeup.  If you want to try a primer, but aren't thrilled about the price, check out e.l.f.  In fact, they have quite a few products that are pretty good and they range in price from $1-$6.  My kind of prices!
  • Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle Leave-in Conditioner - I have to be honest, I was skeptical when I received this product in my Birchbox.  My hair is so fine and thin that I was sure a leave-in conditioner would be too heavy for my limp hair and would just make it greasy and gross.  I didn't even really use my sample until my sister received the same sample in her box and absolutely loved it.  She bought the big version, so I figured I had to give it a shot.  And I love it!  It smells delicious and leaves my hair soft and silky smooth without weighing it down or making it greasy.  I spray it on my damp hair and then comb through, which it also helps detangle my snarly hair.  It's pretty much a miracle product. I can definitely tell a difference on the days that I'm too lazy to use it.  It's been great for my hair!
  • Aquage Uplifting Foam - Now, if you know me, you know I love Kate from The Small Things Blog.  She's really the reason that I ever started reading blogs, and honestly, a pretty big reason why I started this blog.  I just love her!  Anyway, she loves Aquage Uplifting Foam, and the girl has spectacular hair, so I think she knows what she's talking about.  My hair is so fine and limp that I figured a little uplifting couldn't hurt.  I've been using this for a couple months now and it definitely adds volume.  Again, I can absolutely tell a difference on the days I'm too lazy to use it. It has become a daily product for me and I love that little lift that it gives me!
  • Clarisonic Mia - I got a Clarisonic for Christmas and I have to say I really love it.  It makes me feel like I'm at a spa every time I wash my face!  It gets my face really clean and I think it also adds some luminosity.  It's nice to feel like your face is really getting a deep down clean, and the Mia does that for me!

Well, there you have it.  The makeup and beauty products that I've been loving lately.  I hope you enjoyed the "Loving Lately" series.  If there's anything else you're curious about, let me know.  If I come up with other things I've been loving lately, I'll be sure to pass them along!  Happy Hump Day!

5 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I read this entire blog and understood about 7 words. It was like a different language. Naked palettes and clay blushes....I don't know what that even means. Well written though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sorry honey! I almost wrote at the beginning, "and for the two guys that read this blog, you may want to skip today!" Thanks for reading it anyway though!

      Delete
    2. Haha, sorry honey! I almost wrote at the beginning, "and for the two guys that read this blog, you may want to skip today!" Thanks for reading it anyway though!

      Delete
  2. hahahahha DOUG! that's awesome! I read it and loved every minute of it! :) I really loved this little series you did! There are definitely a few of those products I need to try! I'm so glad you love the detangler - the smell alone is a good enough reason to buy it! soooo incredible! I'm sure anything you love that I would love as well so now I know what to get on my next trip to Ulta :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I'm kind of like Doug with this blog but I'm glad you liked your Christmas presents!!! :)

    ReplyDelete