Thursday, September 11, 2014

A Little Love for Corn

Today's post may be a bit random, but I've been feeling some extra love for a vegetable that I've always liked, but have recently found a new appreciation for.  Corn.  Not what you were expecting, huh?!


Well, it all started in Honolulu when Doug and I went to a restaurant on Waikiki beach.  The side salad that I ordered came with sweet, grilled corn on it.  It was unexpected, but really, really good.  It gave the salad a whole different taste than I'm used to, and honestly, for just a side salad, it was one of the best salads I've ever had.

Fast forward a couple months, and I found a recipe on Mix and Match Mama's site for a corn and bacon pasta.  She mentioned that it was her favorite recipe, and it sounded interesting, so I figured I'd give it a shot.  Let me tell you, it was different.  Unlike any pasta that I've ever had before, but uniquely great!  The corn flavor is very prominent and I quite liked it.  I've made it a couple times since, and now I usually substitute ham for the bacon because bacon is such a mess to cook, but it's been a winner every time.  You can find the recipe here.

Then earlier this week, I decided to try Mix and Match Mama's spicy corn chowder.  It's a crockpot soup, which is right up my alley since I'm always looking for ease.  It was also very, very good. I toned down the spice a little by using mild ingredients since sometimes her spicy foods can be pretty hot, but honestly, when I make it again, I'll probably up the spice level.  I think a little spice adds to the overall flavor, and while mine was a touch spicy, I could have used a little more kick. You can find the spicy corn chowder recipe here.

I tell you, I'm loving corn lately.  I've always liked it, but it's a newfound appreciation for the vegetable, and the realization that it can be put in many different foods that you wouldn't expect (i.e. salad and pasta).  I highly recommend you try these delicious corn recipes.  Maybe you will find a whole new love for the simple little vegetable too!

Oh, and it's the perfect food for Fall.


And let's be honest, the candy version isn't too bad either!!


1 comment:

  1. we are going to make the corn pasta this weekend! YUM! and then i'm hoping to do the corn chowder next week! :) thanks for trying them all out!! yummmm!

    ReplyDelete