Monday, May 12, 2014

Mother's Day Fun - The Zoo!

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and found a way to celebrate the moms in your life!  We decided to take Drew to the zoo for the first time to celebrate Mother's Day on Saturday.  Drew loves animals and I just knew he'd have so much fun at the zoo!

We left early Saturday morning for Billings, which is about two hours away.  We got there around 11, and decided to get lunch before heading to the zoo because we were planning on having an early dinner in Billings before we headed home that night.  We went to the Staggering Ox, which is a really unique sandwich shop.  There is one in Helena that I used to go to quite often when I was working up there so much, so it was fun to go to one again.  They have killer sandwiches!

After lunch, we headed to the zoo.  As soon as we got there, we were informed that the tiger that they used to have passed away about three weeks prior, and they weren't getting another one for a few more weeks, so we were a little bummed to miss out on that.  They had plenty of other animals though, so we still had lots of fun.  Drew really loved the animals, and couldn't stop pointing and laughing.  I think the horse was his favorite because Doug fed the horse some grass while holding Drew and he thought that was awesome!  It was so fun to watch him.  He really enjoyed it and I'm excited to take him to an even bigger zoo sometime in the future.

After the zoo, we stopped at a brewery nearby so that Doug could have a beer and check another brewery off his list.  I was in luck because they had soda and popcorn, so I didn't even mind the stop.  After the brewery, Drew was getting tired, so we decided to go walk him around the mall for a bit to see if he would take a little nap.  We didn't stay long, though, because there was way too much action for Drew to nap.  After the mall, we decided to just drive around a little and see if Drew would sleep on the ride.  Doug and I took a little tour of Billings, and it worked because Drew took a short nap on the drive.  On our tour, we came across a Bozeman High vs. Billings Skyview track meet, so we stopped for a bit to watch some of that.  It was almost over though, so we didn't get to see much.  Drew woke up just as the track meet was ending, so we decided to head to dinner.

We went to Texas Roadhouse because I really love that place and decided that would be my perfect Mother's Day meal.  They have the best buns and their steaks aren't too bad either!  Oh, and their margaritas are pretty great too! We all had delicious meals, and Drew was a good boy and behaved the whole time.  He was flirting with all of the other restaurant patrons and I think they were pretty enamored with our little guy.  He makes friends everywhere we go!

After dinner, we wanted to hit the road so that we could get home at a decent hour.  I figured Drew would sleep the whole way home, but he had other plans.  The poor kid never closed an eye.  I don't know why not.  It was perfect sleeping weather the whole way home.  Unfortunately, once we got to about Livingston, it started to snow, so our trip home was a little longer than anticipated.  The roads were really crummy for awhile, but we made it home safe and sound.

It was a fun day out and a great way to spend my second Mother's Day!  I have the best little guy around, and I'm so lucky to be his momma!

Great sandwiches!

Dad and Drew ready to hit the zoo!




Doug feeding the horse!

This was Drew's favorite event of the day!

My sweet boy!

Family fun day at the zoo!


Drew was excited to walk and wanted to pick up everything he could find!

So happy!


Checking out the wolf!








The Grizzly!






Canyon Creek Brewing!


The track meet!

Texas Roadhouse!

My delicious Mother's Day margarita!

I had to pour my own tequila in!


Someone's getting tired!

So sleepy at dinner.

The blizzard!


Our fearless captain!

Drew didn't sleep a wink!  See him in the mirror wide awake!

A little nervous, but we made it home safely!

3 comments:

  1. What a FUN Mother's Day!!! I love that Drew already loves the animals too! I'm so glad you three had a good time! LOVE YOU & Happy Mother's Day again! You're an incredible one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, Love the pictures!! Looks like you had a great time and GREAT MOTHER'S DAY!! I knew he would love it...he looks like such a big boy all of a sudden. I can't believe it has only been a year! You are a great mom and I'm so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day to my beautiful, caring, selfless, and dedicated wife! Drew and I are very lucky and I'm going to go ahead and speak for both of us that we count our blessings every day that we have you!

    ReplyDelete