Monday, January 27, 2014

Birthday Weekend - Chico and Yellowstone!

Every year, Doug comes up with a fun weekend getaway to celebrate my birthday.  Unfortunately, tax season is usually just starting to ramp up, so we normally only get a Saturday away, but in the past few years, we've had some pretty great weekend trips.  This year, we left Saturday afternoon and went to Chico hot springs for the night.  We soaked for about an hour and a half in the hot springs.  Drew absolutely loved it, and he had so much fun swimming.  For a boy whose been a bit fussy lately, he was as happy as he's been in weeks soaking in the warm water!  We stayed in our own cabin about 11 miles from Chico, which was pretty cool.  The cabin was really nice (nicer than we were expecting), and it had absolutely gorgeous views.  It was big, which gave us enough room to all have our space, which was really nice too.  Doug and I have found that sharing a room with Drew is tough because he's a noisy sleeper, so it's always nice when we can have separate rooms!

Sunday morning, we made the journey into Yellowstone.  It was snowing like crazy, which was pretty fun.  We drove to Tower Falls Junction, and did the ski to the falls.  It was about 5.2 miles round trip, which was perfect for us and Drew.  The ski was the perfect grade, and we all had a lot of fun.  We took the short walk down to the waterfall observation point, which was pretty neat as well.  The falls were completely frozen.  We also got to see quite a bit of wildlife in the park, which I wasn't expecting in the winter, but I was happily surprised.

After our ski, we drove home, and I was lucky enough to have Doug cook for me.  I felt pretty darn spoiled that he made dinner while I got to take a hot shower!  The food was delicious and I loved not having to cook!  What a great weekend!  Here are a few pictures from our getaway:


 












 
 
 
 


























Today is my actual 30th birthday.  I'm feeling a little sad as I type it.  My 20's were awesome, and I feel like one of the luckiest girls on the planet.  As I dread turning 30, I have to remember that I'm pretty blessed and I already have everything I could ever want.  As my sister would say, 30 is still "one of the best years of your life!!"  Let's hope it's true.  Here's to my 30th year!



3 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Such awesome pictures - it looks like an awesome weekend getaway!! I'm so glad Drew had a blast, too! Now on to another fabulous year for you :) love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!! Awesome pictures! It looks like you had a GREAT time. The blue Burley was the perfect color choice! It looks great with Doug's coat! I can't believe how close you are to that bull elk! SCARY! And what a great pic of the coyote. You don't usually get that close to them! You guys have such fun! Drew is going to be an outdoor lover just like his mom and dad! Love you Kristin!

    ReplyDelete