Thursday, January 9, 2014

Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie

Baby, it’s cold outside!  During the winter, when the weather turns colder, I crave hearty comfort food.  There’s just something about a nice hot meal warming your belly when it’s snowing and cold outside.  In past years, Doug and I have really loved buying the Chicken Pot Pie from Costco on those cold winter nights.  It’s easy and warm and delicious.  So the other day, after I had made crockpot chicken and dumplings, I thought to myself, wow, I could easily change this recipe up just a bit and make it into a crockpot chicken pot pie.  I tried it, and it was delicious. 

I’m into easy when it comes to cooking dinner.  Especially now that Drew is around, there’s just not the time that there used to be to make gourmet dinners every night.  I’ve always loved my crockpot, especially when both Doug and I were working tax season and wouldn’t get home from work and the gym until about 7:30 at night.  Now, with Drew, I love the crockpot because it's just so easy.  I can cook all day without doing much work, and when Doug gets home after work, the meal is ready without too much messing around.  It makes my life easy when I don’t have to try to cook while also watching Drew.  Most days by dinnertime, he’s not interested in me leaving him to fix dinner!

So the other day, I adapted my crockpot chicken and dumplings recipe to a crockpot chicken pot pie.  Of course, it’s not exactly a pot pie, but it tastes very similar and is pretty darn delicious.  I recommend this for those winter nights when you just need some warm, comfort food!

Ingredients
  • 4 frozen chicken breasts
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • 1 onion (I use onion powder because it’s easier and I don’t like the consistency of onions)
  • Frozen vegetables (I usually use broccoli, carrots, and green beans, but you could use whatever you like, also I don’t have an exact measurement, just add until you think there’s enough)
  • 1 can Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers biscuits
 
 

 Put the four frozen chicken breasts into the crockpot.  Add the frozen vegetables, as much or as little as you want.  Pour the two cans of cream of chicken soup over the top, and then one can of chicken broth.  Then I add the onion powder.  Cook on low for about 8 hours.


After the 8 hours is up, shred the chicken with a fork.  It will be very tender, so you should be able to just touch them with a fork and they should fall apart.
 

Take out six of the biscuits and cut them into nine pieces each (cut like this #).  Add the cut up pieces of biscuits to the crockpot and cover.  Continue to cook for about 45 minutes (if it's taking too long, you may want to move the crockpot setting to high for the biscuits to cook) or until the biscuits look done. 
 

 
 
Once it’s all cooked, you can stir it all together, or just leave the biscuits on top and serve.  Salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. that looks SO good! thank you for the step by step pictures! I'm definitely going to try this next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your crock pot recipes!! I always thought I would use the crockpot but I never really got into it. I think I'll try!

    ReplyDelete