Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Divergent

I used to be an avid reader.  I say used to, not because I don't enjoy it anymore, but because I have found myself with less and less time to enjoy a good book.  Being a mom has kept me pretty busy, and truth be told, I had a hard time finding time to read when it was just Doug and I as well.  We've always been really active, and have never really had much down time.  I do love to read though, and I'm always happy when I find a good book that interests me.

I think I've only read a handful of books since I started dating Doug in 2009.  Sad, I know.  Anyway, I had been hearing a lot about this new book by Veronica Roth called Divergent.  I'd seen it all over Instagram and Facebook, and I had also heard that the movie version would be out in theaters in March 2014.  I hadn't really heard much about the plot, but I had heard that it was a teen novel along the same lines as the Hunger Games.  I really enjoyed the Hunger Games, so I figured I might like it.  I was in Target the other day and saw it on the shelf and decided to give it a go.


Like I said before, it has been taking me months (if not years) to finish a book nowadays, so I figured this would be the same way, and I could tell you guys about it well after the movie came out, probably in 2015.  I started it on my trip to Rapid, and it caught my interest right off the bat.  I stayed up late reading it every night, and actually finished the book just days after I returned to Bozeman.

I have to say, it really drew me in in the beginning.  It's the story of a society, a dystopian Chicago, that is divided into five factions.  Each faction is dedicated to a certain virtue, like honesty, selflessness, etc., and the members of that faction value their virtue above all else.  When the children in this society reach age 16, they must take an aptitude test that will determine which faction they belong in.  The children then choose which faction they want to join, based on their aptitude test, but they don't necessarily have to choose the faction that they have an aptitude for.  I was very intrigued at first as it was an interesting concept and an interesting world.  As the story went on, I felt it got less interesting, and the storyline kind of stagnated, but I still enjoyed it.  It's a quick read, obviously since I got through it so quick, and pretty enjoyable at that.  There are two more books in the series and I plan on getting them soon so I can finish the whole story.

If you're in the market for a quick, easy read about dystopian societies, check it out.  I don't think it was quite as good as the Hunger Games (the books not the movies), but I did like it.  And now I can check out the movie in March, although I'm sure the book will be better as they always are!

No comments:

Post a Comment