Thursday, April 10, 2014

Surfing Whales!

Next week, Doug and I are going to Oahu.  We are staying on the North Shore, which is famous for its huge surf.  The monstrous swells are typically from November to March, but apparently, they can start early and end late as well.  Last year, during the same week we will be there this year, the North Shore had 30+ foot waves!!  We're hoping that they aren't that big while we're there.

Doug and I love watersports, and we love to surf, boogeyboard, and stand up paddleboard, so we are really hoping that the surf isn't too big for us to do those activities.  It looks as if the waves are still pretty big this year, so we'll see.  Here is an article of some humpback whales riding a wave with a surfer just this last Saturday.  This beach is just feet from where we are staying!

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/04/09/whales-caught-riding-a-wave-near-shore-in-oahu/20866182/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl9%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D462899

It would be pretty awesome to see a whale riding a wave, but I'm not sure I want him around when I'm out there.  Hopefully the waves and whales cooperate for us!

To say that we are excited for some sun, beach, and waves is an understatement.  We can't wait!



2 comments:

  1. woah that's so crazy!!! I sure hope the waves aren't that big and that the whales don't bring sharks around! have FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strap the GoPro on my head and send me out with the 30 footers and whales! Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete